Private Diplomatic Residence in Duesseldorf is seeking a part-time appointment (30 hrs. per week) for an exciting opportunity to prepare cuisines for events, luncheons, and dinners for a lead diplomat in Duesseldorf. The employment relationship is for the express purpose of serving as Housekeeper/Chef to the diplomat for the duration of their assignment in Germany. Competitive compensation package! (EUR 33,964 per year)
This is a mixed position, which combines the duties of a Housekeeper with those of a Chef. Incumbent is responsible for the smooth operation of an official US government Residence assigned to the Consul General.
Housekeeper Duties: In close coordination with the principal officer or his/her designated representative, the incumbent of this mixed position is responsible for overseeing, managing and executing the operations of the Residence.
- Acts as liaison between the Consulate’s Protocol Office, the Security Office and the Residence.
- Works with the Consulate’s Protocol Office on guest lists and table seating arrangements.
- Works with the Consulate’s Protocol Office concerning representational vouchers and ORE expenses - maintains expense ledgers, prepares representational vouchers and reconciles all-rep related costs for submission to the Consulate’s Protocol Office.
- Cleans and maintains silverware, chinaware, glassware and brass.
- Maintains inventory of representational wine, other beverages, china and cutlery.
- Coordinates Residence repairs with the Consulate and coordinates the removal or reinstatement of furniture used for representation events and functions; also ordering additional household items (chinaware/glassware/silverware, etc.) and assist in purchasing cleaning and other supplies, as needed.
- Answers the door and the telephone, and relays messages as required.
- May be required to perform light gardening services.
- Is responsible for general housekeeping duties such as: light cleaning and maintaining the principal officer’s residence in a proper and clean appearance; duties may include making beds, cleaning all rooms, hallways, and bathrooms; periodically washing windows and cleaning out closets; as needed; responsible for all laundry – washing, drying, and ironing, pressing tablecloths, linens and clothing.
- Manages additional wait staff, whenever required. Other duties as assigned
Chef Duties: In close coordination with the principal officer or his/her designated representative, the incumbent plans and executes menus for representational events held mainly in the official residence but also at the Consulate building.
- Working within a budget, plans and prepares official meals for receptions, luncheons, and dinners ranging in size from two (2) to a large number of guests and presenting them in an elegant and representational manner.
- Working within a budget, plans and prepares private meals for the Consul General and his/her family, consisting of up to three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
- Responsible for food and beverage shopping.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and good sanitary practice in the kitchen and food storage areas.
- Sets tables and serves private as well as official meals. Stocks, prepares and serves beverages.
- Professional job-related vocational training as cook and/or professional housekeeper (Hauswirtschafter/-in).
- Work Experience: 1-2 years in a similar position in a private residence or in restaurants or hotels, including in training or apprenticeship status.
- German language level 2 (limited working knowledge) required, preferred level 3 (good working knowledge). English language level: basic.
- Abilities and Skills: Must be able to manage a medium sized residence, taking care of tasks to keep the house in representational order, including being versed in all areas of food and beverage serving and housekeeping. Incumbent must possess a high level of integrity, productivity, and flexibility. Must be able to adapt or “upgrade” a private meal to an official one on short notice; should be flexible and knowledgeable of regional, and if possible, of American and ethnic cuisine; should be able to prepare meals in a set budget. Discretion is an absolute must.
- Must have the unrestricted legal right to live and work in Germany.
Please submit your complete application package to include CV, reference letters from former employers and copy of work and residence permit (if applicable) to: GermanyOREStaff@gmail.com and include “Duesseldorf” in the subject.