Executive Head Chef (m/f/d)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) • Heidelberg
Über das Unternehmen
We are looking for a dynamic, experienced chef to join our friendly and dedicated team of 30 Food Services staff at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory Campus in Heidelberg. For the right person we offer a friendly and rewarding career, generous pay and paid weekend overtime.
The EMBL Food Services (Canteen, Cafeteria and Event catering) currently serves 800 to 900 meals daily, taking into account the international background of the customers coming from approx. 60 nations. Lunch and snacks can be purchased with the means of a rechargeable lunch-card. The Canteen menu is international and consists of vegetarian, meat and fish dishes as well as several side dishes, most of which are freshly prepared and some of which are prepared using "front cooking". Catering is provided for courses and conferences run at EMBL’s Advanced Training Centre as well as internal meetings and social events.
As Executive Head Chef, you will be responsible for ensuring sustained quality standards and operational costs by effectively managing the kitchen. The role will work closely with the Head of department to ensure the delivery of culinary excellence.Your role
The responsibilities of the Executive Chef will be as follows:
- Ensuring the food and presentation are of the highest possible standard across all aspects of the catering operation;
- Working with the Head of department to develop new and innovative menu ideas across the site;
- Proactive, hands on management of the kitchen Responsible for assisting the Head of department and HR department in recruiting, supporting, training and people development to deliver an efficient, high-quality service to EMBL, employees, visitors and customers;
- Accountable for ensuring ongoing team communications, including building internal and external relationships, management reporting and client liaison to enable operational excellence;
- Responsible for ensuring that at the highest level of customer service are communicated and embedded within the catering team;
- Accountable for maintaining, ordering and controlling food stocks within budget;
- Accountable for innovative menu and event planning and design of food service within specified budgets ensuring high standards of food presentation and portion/quality control;
- Support the Head of department in creating a platform for financial progress through cost control and culinary experience;
- Accountable for COSHH, Food Safety, H&S, legal regulations, environmental policies and duty of care to customers and colleagues
- Organize the daily routine in a highly frequented business canteen;
- Plan and organize the event catering;
- Support the recruitment, teaching and monitoring of apprentices;
- Keep administration work up to date including issuing and controlling of invoice, work schedule, monitor absences of staff, deliver facts and figures in a timely manner to administrative departments within EMBL, help with statistics and reports budget forecast;
- Manage small repair and maintenance work;
- Build good relationships and cooperation with other EMBL departments such as; Health & Safety, Course & Conference Office, Kindergarten, ISG Hotel, etc;
- Liaise with cleaning company
The Executive Chef reports to the Head of department.You have
As our ideal candidate, you will demonstrate:
- A passion for service: warm, friendly, open personality with all- round communication skills;
- A performance driven leadership approach creates a culture of results within a high-pressured environment through inspirational leadership;
- Taking the initiative takes responsibility, is committed to achieving growth by creating a culture of innovation, adaptability and challenging the norm;
- Respecting commitments: able to effectively listen, establishing trust and rapport through exemplary leadership;
- Able to act independently: can recognize independently where there is a need for action
Furthermore, you will have appropriate training and work experience in an organisation of comparable size, preferably in a Head or Sous Chef role. Along with excellent culinary skills, you will have a proven track record of excellent organisational skills as well as leadership and management capabilities. Managerial skills are as important as being a good communicator. You will be highly reliable, has very good stamina, able to work under pressure and able to multi-task. You will be used to a cost- efficient approach and demonstrates good financial control. Excellent English and good German language skills are a must.
The presentation of a certificate according to § 43 Para. 1 No. 1 of the Infection Protection Act or the health instruction of the public health department is a prerequisite to be able to carry out the work.You might also have
- Previous relevant work experience gained in an international environment is advantageous
- Above average pay
- A career and safe working environment in top facilities with modern equipment
- Fixed weekday working hours and free weekends (apart from overtime)
- Permanent position with an International organisation
- 30 Days holiday plus national holidays
- Higher pay on Weekend and National Holidays
- Supplied work clothes and their washing
The EMBL Canteen currently accommodates up to 800 meals daily, taking into account the international background of the customers coming from approx. 60 nations. Mondays to Fridays the Canteen is currently open from 11:45 to 13:30, whilst the cafeteria runs its business between 08:00 and 19:00 with later openings planned. Lunch and snacks can be purchased with the means of a rechargeable lunch-card. Both Canteen and Cafeteria also organize the catering of official seminars and events.
Catering for courses and conferences is run at EMBL’s Advanced Training Centre as well as internal meetings and social events. Lunches are served finger food style for up to 500 guests and evening meals in the canteen.
Find out more about the EMBL Food Services here: https://www.embl.org/about/info/food-services-heidelberg/gallery/What else you need to know
We are Europe’s research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review, up to a maximum of 9 years.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online submitting your CV and cover letter.
For questions or issues with the application process, please contact email@example.com
Closing date: 16 October 2023
Contract duration: 3 years (renewable)
Grading: 6 (monthly salary starting at 4.3k€ after tax, plus other paid benefits)
Reference number: HD02458